The Upper Lip Lift is a wonderful procedure for a properly selected patient that can create a beautiful and rejuvenating effect. It is most commonly performed as part of a facelift in patients starting in their 40s but is even more common in older patients. Younger patients with anatomically elongated lips can benefit from lip lift as well.
The most telling signs of aging occur in what Dr. Ackerman calls “the central oval of the face,” which includes jowls, nasolabial folds, and lips. While facelift surgery corrects the jowls and nasolabial folds, it does not correct the upper lip.
As we age, the upper lip elongates and comes down as a window curtain. This creates a significant aging appearance. Dr. Ackerman often asks his patients to compare their upper lip now to the appearance of their upper lip in photos when they were much younger. This helps to explain how an Upper Lip Lift creates such a powerful rejuvenating effect on the entire facial appearance.
Unfortunately, there are social media postings of Upper Lip Lifts that look unnatural. That can occur due to improper technique or choosing a patient who does not need a lip lift. There are a lot of nuances and variations of the Lip Lift technique that an “occasional lip lift surgeon” might not have mastered.
In the hands of an experienced and skilled surgeon, Upper Lip Lift creates beautiful, natural results.
Dr. Ackerman has the skill and extensive experience necessary to deliver natural results. He knows that when it comes to upper lip lifts, no two are alike, and each surgical plan must be designed according to the patient’s unique lip anatomy.
What Are the Benefits of an Upper Lip Lift?
An Upper Lip Lift can improve the appearance of the face in many ways:
- Treatment for long lips – A lip lift can shorten the distance between the bottom of the nose and the top (philtrum) of the pink portion (vermillion) of the upper lip.
- Enhancements for thin lips – A lip lift can also reveal more of the vermillion so lips look fuller and more sensual.
- Customizable – Dr. Ackerman’s lip lifts are fully customized according to your lip’s anatomy to deliver the specific results you desire.
- Natural results – A lip lift performed by Dr. Ackerman provides a natural-looking, enhanced upper lip.
- Surprisingly dramatic improvement – You may think this procedure would only produce subtle changes, but because of the upper lip’s crucial aesthetic role and its placement in the middle of the center oval, it is significant.
Am I a Candidate for an Upper Lip Lift?
There are several reasons why you may benefit from receiving a lip lift. If you have any of the following concerns, you may want to consult with Dr. Ackerman.
- Have tell-tale signs of aging – As we age, the upper lip can become longer (increasing the distance from the bottom of the nose to the pink of the lip). An upper lip lift can shorten the space between the nose and top of the lip for a more youthful appearance.
- Have naturally long or thin lips – When genetics dictate an upper lip that’s longer or thinner than desired, this shortening technique can be used along with other methods to reveal more of the pink vermillion for added fullness.
- Have lips that are stretched out after using dermal lip fillers – Sometimes, lip fillers can distort the lip or stretch the skin. A highly customized lip lift can correct this problem.
- Prefer a permanent lip enhancement solution – Some individuals prefer to undergo one procedure that can provide permanent results rather than repeating injectable treatments.
- Are already planning a facelift procedure – If planning a facelift, Dr. Ackerman will assess your need for a lip lift, which is commonly added to the surgery.
You should not smoke and be in good health. If you smoke or use any nicotine product, you must quit weeks before the procedure.
What Is Discussed During My Upper Lip Lift Consultation?
Dr. Ackerman’s approach is successful because it is designed to meet your unique needs. During your consultation, he will obtain a complete medical history, listen carefully to your concerns, examine your face (focusing on the “central oval”), and create a custom surgical plan according to your aesthetic goals and the anatomy of your lips.
Expect to discuss:
- Your specific concerns and goals
- Your surgical options and the appropriate techniques to use
- Complementary treatments or procedures to consider
- Your personalized treatment plan
If you decide to move forward with your Upper Lip Lift, Dr. Ackerman will take some “before” photos.
If you think you may be a candidate for an Upper Lip Lift, contact Dr. Ackerman in Newport Beach, California, by calling (949) 536-9047.
How Can I Personalize My Upper Lip Lift?
Customization according to your concerns, the anatomy of your lip, and your desired results are vital to achieving the outcome you want, and this is Dr. Ackerman’s priority. During your consultation, you will discuss other surgical or non-surgical procedures that may complement your lip lift, depending on your goals.
How Does an Upper Lip Lift Differ From Lip Fillers?
There are many differences between surgical and non-surgical lip enhancement. The main issue is that when the lip is elongated, the filler can magnify the appearance of a long lip, and leave you with a “simian” appearance.
Having the proper space between the bottom of your nose and the top of your lip greatly improves the aesthetic of the face.
- Lip fillers are temporary, while a lip lift is permanent.
- Lip fillers can plump the lips but cannot shorten a long lip.
- Lip fillers are far less customizable than a lip lift and may produce unpredictable and unnatural results, especially when overdone. While poorly performed lip lift may also cause an unsatisfactory outcome under unskilled hands, Dr. Ackerman’s nuanced and methodical approach produces excellent results consistently.
To learn more about the difference between an Upper Lip Lift and lip fillers (and determine which one is appropriate for you), view our blog.
Where Are Upper Lip Lift Incisions Made?
Dr. Ackerman uses small incisions at the base of the nose, leaving scars that are barely noticeable after two weeks and fade to the point of being virtually invisible after a few months.
Should I Combine My Upper Lip Lift With Other Facial Procedures?
It can also be used in conjunction with dermal lip fillers, although you will have to heal from your surgery first. Dr. Ackerman’s Medspa offers JUVÉDERM VOLBELLA® XC and expert service.
What Are Your Concerns?
What Will Recovery From My Lip Lift Be Like?
There is mild swelling for a few days only. Patients may eat and talk normally. The scar under your nose will fade and be much less noticeable by week two while becoming virtually invisible by about week eight. You may experience some tightness around the lips for up to four months, but this should steadily decrease in intensity.
Is Upper Lip Lift Surgery Painful?
Typically, most patients experience only minimal discomfort for the first day only.
Will My Lip Lift Leave Scars?
Because Dr. Ackerman has developed advanced suturing techniques, scarring should be minimal and difficult to detect once completely healed.
What Does an Upper Lip Lift Cost in Newport Beach?
The cost of your lip lift will depend on the methods used and whether additional surgery is being performed. You will receive an accurate quote (including any anesthesia and facility fees) at the end of your consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions About Upper Lip Lifts
What are my lip lift options?
Dr. Ackerman typically uses a sophisticated version of the subnasal bullhorn method in which the incision is hidden along the base of the nose. This technique pulls the right, center, and left portions of the lip toward the nose, and Dr. Ackerman modifies this method to deliver customized and natural results.
Other options include:
- A direct lip lift is designed to provide a more defined lip border. However, it tends to leave a thin but visible scar above the upper lip. This is rarely used by Dr. Ackerman
- Much like the subnasal bullhorn lift, a central lip lift uses an incision at the base of the nose to shorten the space between the nose and the lips.
- A corner lip lift, or “grin lift,” is a good choice for individuals with downturned lips because it transforms a resting frown into a subtle smile. Small incisions are made at each corner of the mouth, and a small amount of skin is removed. This method can be combined with the bullhorn technique for a comprehensive Upper Lip Lift.
Dr. Ackerman may incorporate some of these techniques when creating your custom surgical plan.
When will I see my Lip Lift results?
A dramatic change will be visible immediately, with final results appearing in less than two months. The scar becomes nearly imperceptible in a few months.
How should I prepare for an Upper Lip Lift?
Dr. Ackerman will provide detailed instructions on preparing for your lip lift during your consultation. These include not smoking, limiting alcohol, avoiding aspirin and other medications that increase bleeding, and being well-rested. Wash your face well, and don’t wear creams or makeup on the day of your surgery.
What are the risks associated with Lip Lift surgery?
In Dr. Ackerman’s hands, the risks are minimal. All surgical procedures involve risks, but choosing a highly skilled, experienced plastic surgeon who is board-certified with extensive expertise with lip lift surgery will markedly increase your chances of a successful result.
Is there a non-surgical alternative to a lip lift?
Injectable fillers are often used to plump the lips, but when the lip is elongated, this can magnify the issue and leave you with a “simian” appearance. Having the proper space between the bottom of your nose and the top of your lip greatly improves the aesthetic of the face.
Are my Upper Lip Lift results permanent?
While dermal lip fillers are temporary and require many subsequent treatments, a surgical Upper Lip Lift is a permanent procedure. However, this procedure does not stop the aging process.