Neck lift surgery was designed to help patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their neck, typically due to aging. Dr. Boris Ackerman is a world-renowned plastic surgeon in Newport Beach who offers neck lift procedures customized according to your unique needs and goals.
What Is a Neck Lift?
Neck lift surgery, also referred to as platysmaplasty or lower rhytidectomy, is a general term for surgical procedures that aim to remove loose, sagging skin and fat from the neck. There are three common methods to improve the look of the neck and restore a more youthful appearance.
Types of Neck Lift Surgery
Dr. Ackerman provides the following options for his neck lift patients, depending on the extent of laxity and surgical goals.
- Submental anterior – This is the simplest approach and is best for patients who have concerns about fat and banding under their chin and around their neck without too much loose skin. Dr. Ackerman makes a small incision under the chin to suction and surgically extract the submental fat in the neck using liposuction techniques. He will then tighten and suture the platysma muscles and remove a small amount of skin. This method improves the contour and definition of the neck for a better profile.
- Combination posterior/anterior – For some patients with a large amount of excess skin, Dr. Ackerman will combine the submental approach with a posterior technique. This means he will make incisions under the chin and behind the ears for more dramatic results. This procedure is best for patients who have concerns about loose skin and fat but are not experiencing sagging jowls. Very few patients are candidates for this technique. Most patients who experience significant neck laxity also experience facial laxity and are better suited for a facelift and neck lift combination.
- Combination deep plane facelift & submental anterior – For patients with additional aging components such as droopy jowls, Dr. Ackerman recommends a deep plane facelift combined with the submental neck lift for the best results. Because sagging jowls often accompany an aging neck, this approach is often more appropriate for older patients, as it will lift the jowls and neck, along with the face, up to the juncture of the cheeks and lower eyelids.
Only highly skilled and experienced plastic surgeons are qualified to perform the deep plane technique. While it provides natural-looking and long-lasting results, this procedure requires a high level of expertise.
Dr. Ackerman’s body of work includes many years of performing this surgery with consistently superior results compared to the SMAS method. He even invented the Ackerman Retractor Tool, now widely used during deep plane facelift surgery.
Am I a Candidate for a Neck Lift?
Neck lift surgery corrects conditions such as:
- Sagging jowls (turkey neck)
- Pronounced muscle banding in the neck
- Loose or sagging neck skin
- Excess wrinkles on the neck
- Separation of the skin and muscles in the neck
Ideal candidates will be in good health and have realistic expectations of their results.
What Is Discussed During My Neck Lift Consultation?
During your consultation, Dr. Ackerman listens carefully to your concerns and goals. He will then evaluate your condition and answer any questions you have. If you are a good candidate for any of the neck lift procedures our practice offers, he will explain your best options and schedule your procedure if you choose to move forward with the surgery.
If you think you may be a candidate for neck lift surgery, contact Dr. Ackerman in Newport Beach, California, by calling (949) 759-3284.
What to Expect After Neck Lift Surgery
How Long Does It Take to Recover From a Neck Lift?
Most patients can return to work within a week or two of their operation. It may take up to two months before patients can resume vigorous exercise and other physically demanding tasks.
Is Neck Lift Recovery Painful?
You will experience some discomfort and tightness in your neck for a few days after your procedure. Some swelling, bruising, and skin redness are also common. Most of these symptoms can be treated with over-the-counter medications and ice. Prescription medications may be prescribed in some cases.
Frequently Asked Questions About Neck Lift Surgery
How much is a neck lift in Newport Beach?
The cost of your neck lift will vary depending on several factors. These factors include the extent of correction required, any combination procedures, and any additional fees for the facility and anesthesia. Dr. Ackerman’s office will provide you with a personalized neck lift price during your consultation.
When will I see my neck lift results?
You should see your initial neck lift results within four to six weeks as the swelling on your neck subsides. However, your final neck contours may not become visible for two to six months after your surgery. This is because your neck tissues may adjust over time to settle into their new positions.
How long do neck lift results last?
Most patients will see their neck lift results last for 10 to 15 years. This time may decrease if you undergo surgery at a later age. In general, skin loses elasticity with age, so the older you are when you undergo your neck lift, the shorter your neck lift results will likely last. However, your appearance will always look better than if you had not had the surgery.
Will my neck lift leave scars?
Neck lift surgery involves some surgical incisions. The resultant scars are very fine, and with time become almost imperceptible. These may occur behind your ears, under your chin, and in front of the ears (if a facelift is combined).
What are the risks associated with neck lift surgery?
When performed by an experienced and talented surgeon, the permanent complications are quite rare. Most of the risks associated with any plastic surgery are the same as any surgery and include the following:
Learn more about neck lifts at the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Why should I choose Dr. Ackerman for my neck lift?
The more experience and skill a plastic surgeon has will directly affect your chances of achieving your aesthetic goals without significant risk. For this reason, Dr. Boris Ackerman is a smart choice for anyone who wants to improve the appearance of their neck, face, or body.
Call Dr. Boris Ackerman today to schedule your Newport Beach neck lift surgery.